A 2019 study on gender and business published by the International Labor Organization shows that globally, 50% of women at working age are part of the labor force, compared to 75% of men. However, since 1991, more women have been filling managerial positions and completing tertiary education degrees. This means that even though there are fewer women than men in the workforce, both their educational level and their expertise, and therefore their position within the company is higher. Women are no longer considered the weaker sex, responsible for solely raising children and taking care of the household, and rightfully so. Women are just as passionate as men, equally talented, likewise motivated.
For the other 50%, for those who are currently at a working age yet not employed but driven to succeed, starting an online business could be a great way to not only join the other half but also channel your inner passion into something creative and self-rewarding, something you can do at home. If this is you, there are three factors to consider:
- Choosing the Right Website Platform
- Showcasing Great Products/Services with Quality Visuals
- Marketing to the Right Audience
Choosing the Right Website Platform
There are plenty of e-business platforms and hosting sites from which to choose. As such, when making a decision, it’s important to first ask yourself some questions:
- Do I want a free site with fewer features or a paid one with a more robust system and better options?
- Will I be promoting a product or a service? In the case of a product, is it a physical product or something my customers can download straight from the site?
- In the case of a physical product, does the platform offer e-commerce tools such as the cart, checkout, and delivery options?
- Is the website builder intuitive, or do I need programming/photo editing knowledge?
- What kind of customer support can I get?
These and other questions will not only help you choose the right platform but also give you the tools you need to succeed when launching a new e-business.
Showcasing your Products/Services with Quality Visuals
There are hundreds of free software solutions you can use to edit your images. However, if you truly want to make a visual impact on your customers, look professional, and add both creativity and panache to your site, it would be best to hire the services of a specialized photo editing provider for e-commerce products. This is especially true at the beginning stages of your online business journey as you want to leave a positive, long-lasting impression on your clientele right from the start. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” Is an amateur-looking, blurry, dull picture really the first thing you want your visitors to see?
If your concern is the price, rest assured that quality image editing companies offer a wide range of services for various needs, including simple touch-ups, background removals, the adding of shadows, borders and resizing, and image composition.
Marketing to the Right Audience
With the ever-growing number of social media apps and web marketing solutions currently in the market, it is often easy to fall into the trap of “using everything to promote to everyone.” Reaching the most people, regardless of who they are and what they do, is usually not the best way to establish a long-lasting business. Here are some important steps to follow when embarking on a promotional campaign:
- Understand your product. What kind of image do I want to portray? How is this valuable to my customers?
- Determine the most suitable target market for your product or service. Is it Millennials, Gen X, Baby Boomers? Is my product for men, women, children?
- Choose the best way to promote to your target audience. Millennials might be avid Instagram and Facebook users, while older generations may prefer email marketing campaigns or popup ads on quality sites.
- Set realistic expectations. How much do I expect to sell in my first month, the second one, the third? How can I achieve this, and why?
- Carve a niche for yourself. How is my product or service different from the others? How is it unique?
Starting a prosperous online business requires time, effort, and dedication. While it might appear to be a daunting task at first, it is definitely one worth trying. There are plenty of examples of women who have achieved success online, women of all ages and distinctly diverse backgrounds. You can also be one of them. You can also channel your passion and turn it into something great, something you can be proud of. All you need is patience, commitment, and having the right tools with which to face the magnificent challenge of making it online.